Monday, October 4, 2010

A sweet friend of mine, who is due with a baby boy just a few weeks after Cody is due, asked me if I mind her talking about her baby. I don't mind. I don't feel badly about Cody's diagnosis. I am sad about it sometimes, and I get really scared and anxious about some of the details sometimes, but I don't feel disappointed or like I am getting gypped. I couldn't love this baby more if I could somehow know he would be the perfect child. I can't wait to see him and meet him! As my husband said today, this is right. This isn't some kind of mistake - this is the gift God has given us. A few years ago I think I would have seen Cody's condition as a form of discipline - something to make me "better" or more "righteous," or as some kind of test. But now I see it as a gift of pure love. He is a little boy - not a trial. Yeah, I might not always feel this way - I'm sure I will be angry sometimes, and overwhelmed with the responsibility. But thank goodness how I feel doesn't dictate reality. I have perfect peace about it, and that passes all my understanding.

We had another ultrasound today, and a consultation with the neurosurgeon. There isn't really anything new to report. Cody is growing well - 1lb, 9oz, in the 50th percentile. The lesion is right where they thought it was, and the hydrocephalis hasn't increased. Now it is just monthly ultrasounds until time for the c-section.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we can think up one of those new euphemistic
    terms to replace spina bifida. :-}

    Poppa

    ReplyDelete