Monday, September 20, 2010

We have had to make a major decision this week whether to participate in an experimental study on spina bifiida babies. If we participate in the study, and are accepted into the group that we would want to be in, I would be having major surgery within the next three weeks. The study is looking to find out whether it is beneficial to take the baby out of the womb during pregnancy, repair the covering of the spine, and put the baby back in. I would have this surgery, and then have to live on-site in either Philadelphia, Nashville or San Francisco, on bed rest, for the remainder of the pregnancy. Their is a higher incidence of mortality to the infant, and an extremely high incidence of premature birth. My mom would have to come live with me, while Andrew stayed home with the boys. He would have to either drop out of med school for the time, or have his mom come live with him.

We decided it isn't worth the risk. I am so relieved. I would have missed Jack's birthday and Christmas, and the whole thing just seemed crazy. Not to mention not being with my husband for most of the time. Cody's prognosis is so much better than we thought at first, and we are receiving such excellent care here, it seems clear that God has us right where He wants us.

I have been thinking a lot about latex today. Most people with spina bifida are allergic to it (the doctors have no idea why), and some are severely allergic. Many babies used to die on the operating table because of the allergy. What has latex in it? I have no idea. I know that some diapers do, and catheters (which we will likely be using plenty of), pacifiers, bottle nipples, balloons . . . . I have not even cracked open the huge folder of papers they gave us at the spina bidifa clinic. There is so much new information, it is really overwhelming.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica and Andrew, have been praying since the first word on this, just hadn't wanted to overwhelm you with responses while you were in the midst of the storm, making critical decisions. I am claiming victory for Cody. As I have so well learned, victory does not only mean full healing, victory has so many other layers. I am claiming God's path for Cody and on that path innumerable victories in whatever way the Father sees fit. We are all broken vessels and only through Him are we able to hold water. Find peace in knowing that this wee babe is being lifted up in overwhelming love and grace as he develops, as are Jack, Austin and both of you. May God's peace overwhelm you and shine through you to glorify His name in this journey with Cody. Victory is yours, it has already been bought and paid for :O) love to you all.. we miss you so much here! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have peace about your decision not to go with the surgery. I feel relieved for you too!

    I've been using cotton prefold diapers on Natalie and having good success. They were not expensive and I bought them at Target. They actually leak less than any of the disposable ones I've tried. The fastener and diaper cover might have latex in them, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete